I was originally a site developer before getting into investing in domains. Even though I couldn’t manage daily upkeep of every domain back then being a developer & then having a business plan of depending on parking to me just doesn’t make sense.
I am not against domain parking but I see it as a where to store domains I can’t develop.
These are the factors working against you.
1. Google has an exclusive contract with most of the domain parking companies. They can’t use another feed.
2. Domain parking was good before because up until IE 7 Internet Explorer automatically directed any keyword you put into the browser to the dot com. That feature is GONE
3. Google has the parking revenue & statistics data & invested in Mozilla & Firefox & they changed from redirecting to dot com automatically to Google search.
4. In Google before when you searched for YOURDOMAIN.com it used to give one result. Your domain. Not anymore it gives you a variety of competitors especially if your domain is parked.
5. A few years ago if you ran the Content network for advertising there wasn’t a choose you had to advertising on parked pages. Now this is one of the first thing we turn off. (Sorry it’s true, we look conversions not clicks)
Think about it Google controls Domain parking & has told us that we have let the domain just lie there, we can’t promote it, we can’t backlink to it, they will usually deindex it from the search listings. Should you run a business on this.
I want the option to create a network drive people to my site & create conversions anyway I can.
I was a bit inspired to write this after seeing this.
I don’t think it’s at a point where IDN investors are not making money but it can be improved.
These are the points I fully agree with
1. Just because it gets 24,300 searches for those keywords and a $7.40 CPC doesn’t mean you’re going to get any of those people
3. You paid more for the domain than you could possibly make on PPC in the next 3 years
6. Somebody is going to outwork you, outspend you, and out SEO you for that money
8. You don’t know what to do with the visitors once they get to your site.
12. You won’t pay for help. You, like everyone else in domaining, think they are an SEO master
15. You spend more time reading than doing and trying
16. PPC is a poor business model
#3 & #6 I believe if you can pay over $1,000 for one domain you can find someone or a team to develop for you.
I want IDN holders to develop. I want them to start looking into it & build up their own development tools. I know I don’t write about what software I’m using etc because I’ve been collecting & buying php scripts, plugins & Templates for about 13 years now. Even for the new shopping sites I’m using some old plugins plus new ones. This got me up & running to a good phase 1.
I’ve gotten a few emails & comments about this blog going a bit private to concentrate on development more. I think it’s time to look into it more. Since no one links to this site or credits it anyway I’m not worried about loosing traffic.
To sum things up these 5 things killed parking. The parking companies make less but Google makes more.